Wedding season is about to be in full swing at Magnolia Jane Salon & Spa, and we couldn't be more excited for our upcoming beautiful brides & their bridal parties that will grace New Bern and the surrounding areas. Our team enjoys being part of such a beautiful day, and after 2 years in business and more weddings than we can count, we have got it down to a science!
We find that some of our brides find it overwhelming to find the perfect inspiration for their wedding day hair & makeup look. We have comprised a list below of tips to take with you along your inspiration journey! Don't forget to also take into account the theme of your wedding & the formality, and we always have your back with any questions or ideas you want to share with us for feedback or collaboration!
Finding the perfect hair & makeup inspiration
This is after all one of the most important days of your life, and we know you want it to be as perfect as can be. Most brides head to sites like Pinterest, Google, or even Magnolia Jane's website for photos of inspiration for their wedding day style. Here's a few tips when searching for the perfect look:
1) Look for hair style photos with hair that is the same color or similar as your own. If your hair is dark brown and you are searching through blonde hair styles, they will look completely different. Also remember that darker hair without any dimension (highlights) do not show braids as well as lighter hair or hair with dimension.
2) Look for hair styles that have the same density & texture as your own. If you have very fine, straight hair, searching through styles of very thick, voluminous hair may not be realistic without added extensions for thickness and/or fullness. Vice versa, if you have very thick & long hair, searching for styles where the bride has fine, limp hair will most likely not be suitable for you.
3) The same goes with makeup looks. Search for makeup that is applied to skin-tones similar to your own, as well as the same eye color, cheek bone structure and all around the same "color palette" and undertones as yourself. If you need help with this, our esthetician will be glad to help you decide which colors are most complimentary for you.
3) Keep an open mind. This is why we always recommend coming to the salon for a formal run through to try out different styles and looks that you have in mind. You may be surprised that the look you thought you loved really isn't quite what you thought you wanted, and that's okay!
4) Pick a style & look that you will feel comfortable in. Take into account the time of year and the approximate weather for that time of year. We constantly hear feedback from bride's who we have tried to talk into doing an updo for their July wedding that wish they would have taken our advice and not worn their hair down. During hot & humid months, styles tend to be a little more stubborn to stay in place (especially if you plan on shaking your groove thing at the reception, which let's be honest, you probably will.) If your hair does not hold curl, consider a more wavy or straight look. If your hair tends to be extra frizzy or unmanageable, you may want to consider a more natural, loose romantic look.
5) We've saved the best for last! We recommend having your hair compliment your dress as well as the features you love the most about yourself. If you want to show off the stunning back of your dress, it may be best to wear your hair up so that attention is drawn to that area. If you have earrings that you adore, again, you may want to wear your hair away from your face to accent your jewelry. The same goes with different parts of your face that you love or that you wish to not accentuate as much. Having the style frame or lay at certain places can draw attention to or away from them. It is important to keep that in mind.
All of these factors are why our team strongly recommend all of our brides to come in for a trial run of their style. We understand that lots of brides venture to eastern North Carolina for a destination wedding and are from out of town. If you have a stylist in your home town that you frequent, we recommend asking them to try a couple styles just to see what you like, or plan around a trip you have to the area to stop in and see us!
We understand that the stress of preparing for your big day may be a bit overwhelming; relax, take a deep breath. You will look absolutely beautiful as long as your expectations are realistic and you feel confident. We hope that you take these tips with you along your search for the perfect style, and we also encourage you to ask us questions, e-mail inspiration photos and always schedule your formal run-through well in advance. XO Cheers!